Thursday, February 26, 2009

Crash + Burn = ______ [fill in the blank] (or; cooking with Clint Eastwood quotes)


Ambassador PK of PCPlandia wrote to me earlier this week:

“I was reading about Carla on your blog and I freaked when I saw her pic. In August 2007, I went up to my friend's place on the Cape and they had hired her for a week as a chef. OMG, the food she cooked... I haven't tasted anything so good since. Just the coolest fusion of tastes and styles. I felt so guilty eating her meals 'cause they were so good. It was a mega-relaxed scene up there, everybody hung out by the pool and she was just cool as hell in general…Hope she wins. She deserves it.”

But as Clint Eastwood says in Unforgiven, “Deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it.”


Regular visitors to The United Provinces of Ivanlandia know we’re supporters of Chef Carla on the Top Chef TV show, but last night, at the big finale of Season 5 (recap HERE at Serious Eats), Team Carla went down in flames.


Carla’s problem? Listening to and following the advice of her sous chef instead of creating her own meal. About half of what Carla cooked last night was somebody else’s idea, and that is a recipe for disaster, especially during a competition. I was shocked, shocked that Carla did this.

As Clint Eastwood says in Magnum Force, “You do something someone else’s way and you take your life in your hands.”

Well, that’s what Carla did and she paid the price. But we still love you, Chef! (There’s an interview with Carla HERE.)

And the rest of the show? At Serious Eats, commenter Brooke29 said it best: “Once it became clear that Carla was out of the running, I really didn't care who won.”


As Clint Eastwood says in High Plains Drifter, “I like chicken, fried.”

However, the location of the show was of total interest to those of us viewing from the secure bunker in Ivanlandia’s Section Zero: Top Chef’s finale took place at the rightfully world-renowned Commander’s Palace restaurant in New Orleans. It’s an exquisite dining experience, and it’s the last place where The Missus and I ate during our honeymoon in Nola. The Commander’s Palace is expensive, but totally worth it.

As Clint Eastwood says in The Gauntlet, “I got this badge, I got this gun, and I got the love of Jesus right here in my pretty green eyes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment