Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fuck It; It's TOTAL MONKEY WAR!!!





Inspired by this comment thread, and suffering from the flu, and kinda feeling in a desk-clearing mood... Here's comes another pict-o-rama!

SUPER-SIMIAN-MINI-REVIEWS (to assuage my guilt)

Stake Land (2010) I dunno, another Zombie-esque Apocalypse flick? Sheesh, I'm burned out.... I didn't like Zombieland the first time, Bill Murray cameo excepted.

The Crawling Eye (1958) Y'know, this could very easily be an episode of The X-Files, or whatever "Cops As Paranormal Investigator" show is popular now. Sure, it's far-fetched, but if you treat it as the "pilot" for a TV series, it's great: engineer Allan (F-Troop's Forest Tucker) comes to the Trollenberg mountain in Switzerland at the behest of the Professor: in addition to a series of gruesome murders, there has been a cloud with high levels of radiation hovering in the exact same spot for several days right next to the mountain.

On the train ride, Allan meets a woman with psychic powers--who ends up in telepathic contact with the hideous H.P. Lovecraft/nightmare-giant-eyeballs living in the cloud.
It seems Allan and the Professor encountered a very similar situation in the Andes a few years earlier. With the help of the telepath and her sister, as well as an intrepid reporter, these humans prepare to battle an intergalactic menace!

Damn! That sounds like a great TV show! I'd watch it! So ditch that snarky MST3K mindset, and dig the orb!
(HOLY MOLY! I just checked--and The Crawling Eye was a TV before it was a movie! Whaddaya know!)

The Brood (1979) Almost perfect. Now that I'm older, I get a lot of Cronenberg's flicks much better than when I was a kid. And this is one of them.

Red Angel (1966) I still haven't gotten around to seeing director Yasuzo Masumura's Blind Beast, but I own his Giants & Toys, so there.
Set on the front lines at a combat hospital in China, Red Angel is shocking in its realism towards showing the horrors of surgery, as well as broaching subjects usually unspoken: like horny soldiers raping nurses, how crippled soldiers are never sent home so no one can see the horrors, and how does a man with no arms masturbate?

And all this is the fault of
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) Which I discussed here, but need to add:
ROLL ON, OH MIGHTY SIMIAN WARLORDS!







No comments:

Post a Comment